Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Dishwasher detergent

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 21:42:00 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 00:37:33 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 22:32:07 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 21:40:35 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 19:53:46 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 14:32:50 +0100, wrote:

On Tuesday, 12 June 2018 14:24:05 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 14:20:53 +0100,
wrote:

I have always been a fan of Cascade Platinum Actionpacs.
Just
compare, bought some Finish powder recently and it keeps
clumping,
which
means that our dishes were coming out dirty and needing
rewashing
pretty
much every time we ran it. So, will ci=ome back to Cascade
again.
You
can surely do your own research by reading reviews from
https://www.theolive.com/reviews/bes...her-detergent/
,
and
playing with various detergents.

They're all the same, it's just detergent.

When I tried all the brands of dishwasher tablets here I found
no difference. They're not as simple as just detergent, but
there doesn't seem to be any significant difference in
performance.

They're not exactly the latest in technology,

They do in fact keep changing the technology.

How long have dishwashers been available? It's about time they'd
perfected it?

They havent even done that with washing machine
detergent and washing machines have been around
for a lot longer than dishwashers.

In spades with what is used in the bath or shower.

there's no reason they shouldn't all be the same.

The obvious reason is that some ingredients are cheaper
than others. And some do more R&D than others too.

How much research is needed after all this time?

Must be some or they wouldn't bother doing it.

Or they're stupid. Cleaning isn't rocket science.

Getting a perfect result every time in every dishwasher
out there isnt trivial. As is obvious with that other one
that left a haze on glasses after a number of washes.

How hard can it be to make a chemical that cleans stuff?

Not trivial when all you have is a water stray to get
even the worst grime off, and not destroy the most
delicate glassware and decorated plates etc.

This is the 21st century ffs.

We havent even been able to develop a robot
that will wipe little kids and senile geriatric arses.

Or even feed either of those either.

What I'm most surprised at is our lack of space travel.

I'm not given that there is nowhere worth going to that doesn't
involve an utterly obscene quality of life when you get there.

Then we should be researching places that are worthwhile.

We've done that and havent found any
that are within a viable travel distance.

And since we can't even travel properly, how would we know?

We have these funky devices that allow us to work out what
the situation is like there without actually going there in person.

And know that there arent any within viable travel distances.

That one that left a haze on glassware after a number
of washed did eventually get their act into gear and
reformulated theirs and fixed that problem. And sent
me a box of the new ones unsolicited when I had
claimed a refund on the earlier dud formulation.

Don't you use rinse aid?

Nope, waste of money. I use the cheapest Logix or
Finish tabs I can find on offer. Currently mostly Logix
since we have a new Aldi since the start of last year
and those work out cheaper than the best Finish
discount offers here.

I use Aldi tablets, they aren't called Logix though.

Ours are. Two different types, quite different prices.

The Aldi here has only one option for everything. No branded
products,

Ours are all branded, but mostly with Aldi's own brand with stuff like
that.
Yours does too.

My Aldi sells no branded stuff.

Not with dishwasher detergent, yours is branded Magnum.

Which is only available in Aldi. It's an Aldi name.

Still branded.

and only one option for an Aldi product.

That's not true of washing machine detergents.

It is.

Nope. Roughly 6 alternatives.

Not in my Aldi.

Your problem. Bet there is more than just one.

And when there's two flavours (like diet and non-diet coke) they're
mixed in the same ****ing container, so you often have to dig deep to
get the one you want, or even worse it's out of stock as everyone
picked the diet stuff so only the sugary one is left. And also, I
get told off for buying 12 boxes of catfood as I emptied the shelf.
I told the manager she ought to run a decent shop like Asda across
the road that can manage to cater for one person with 6 cats.

The cheapest works fine it the Bosch
with the hottest and longest cycle.

I don't care about the electricity cost since I normally
do a run every 2 weeks or so with the dishes and
another every 24 days for the full sized beer bottles,
because 24 fills the bottom rack completely and
those wont fit in the top rack.

The electricity to run a dishwasher isn't that much as it only runs
for a short time.

I meant the cost of heating the water.
Not much water tho so its no big deal.

That's included in the electricity for the dishwasher,

Duh. But it is the main electricity cost.

What was your point here?

That the cost of running the dishwasher is dominated
by the cost of heating the water, but since that's only
23L in my case, its not enough to matter.

as they're stupidly designed and cold fill.

Nothing stupid about it. Works best to do an initial cold rinse
because that doesn't bake the egg particularly onto the plates.

And given that they use so little water, you wont get much
hot water even with a hot water feed so have to heat it anyway.

Gas is cheaper to heat with.

Sure, but in practice, because they use so little water,
you wont in fact get much water heated by gas into the
dishwasher and will have to heat it with electricity anyway.

And it obviously isnt viable to have an instant gas water
heater just for the dishwasher, right next to it. Or to have
dishwashers that use gas to heat the water either.

But I have found that washing machine detergent is crap if you
buy the cheaper supermarket stuff.

So why isnt that just as true of dishwasher detergent ?

No idea.

In fact we have had washing machines for a lot
longer that dishwashers, so your line about how
long they have been making them for can't fly.

Because manufacturers are stupid?

Unlikely they all are with such a big industry.

Perhaps they think they can get away with selling us powdered sugar?

Doesn't clean anything very well. In fact they use very
aggressive alkalis that really **** anodised aluminium.

I find my microwave is what breaks stuff, that and me bumping them
against stuff. Don't ever buy anything made of melamine, it's ****.

Works fine for the square lidded bowls I do the rice in.

Some melamine isn't microwave proof.

So buy the stuff that is. Almost everything but the cheapest chinese
**** is labelled as microwaveable and dishwasherable now.

I assumed it all was. The Ebay seller lost money because they
misadvertised. I don't tolerate this kind of behaviour.

It absorbs a lot of microwaves and splits, explosively.

Only with the worst chinese ****.

Not my problem.

It is when you have to fart around getting a refund.

I got a melamine bowl that literally exploded in the microwave, bits
flew off it.

Doesn't happen with mine.

Apparently the stuff is poisonous, I played hell with the seller.

Presumably chinese ****. I've had mine for well over 40 years now
and found some more identical ones at a garage sale recently.

I can't believe detergent costs much to make.

They arent hugely profitable.

And the cheaper soft rinse is neither soft or smells nice.

Don't use any rinse in either the washing machine or the
dishwasher.

And I don't want my clothes to smell of anything.

Why not?

Not into perfumed ****.

Same with what I use in the shower, I use Pears Transparent
because it doesn't leave me stinking of some perfume.

Perfume covers sweat smells.

I don't stink when I sweat.

Then you're one in a million. Most sweat stinks.

All perfumes stink.

They smell nicer than sweat.

My sweat doesn't stink.

It will if you leave it on you or your shirt for a bit.

Mine doesn't. And I know that because my T shirts are
noticeably sweaty when out walking for exercise in summer.

Then you're superhuman :-)

Nope, true of most of those I pass when walking too.

A few stink, but most don't.