Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Battery operated compressor

On 6/12/18 5:35 PM, wrote:
I am never sure of why tools like this are made, especially at that
price point. If you were working in an area that didn't have
electricity, say framing a house in a new or remote location, that
wouldn't be your tool. If you are doing a trim out job, a rapid
succession of nails down a side of door trim with your 16 or 15ga.
gun would deplete it. Worse on long runs of base, chair rail, crown,
etc.

And that compressor has pretty low specs as far as recovery would go.
I have bought lowered powered compressors (lured by my aching back
that is tired of hoisting them over the tailgate) in the past and
have literally given them away. If I shoot a line of brads or trim
mails quickly into trim those tiny tanks deplete so fast that I
always seem to have the last few flush, then protruding from the
trim. Countersinking trim gun nails (made to bend when they strike
something hard)always makes a mess.

So it seems useless to most professionals I know, and too expensive
for the average homeowner to get any real use out of it. You can buy
a nice hot dog for $100 that stow nicely, and has a lot of nailing
power.

I just bought this one about a month ago when it was on sale, and it
has proven to be a nice little unit.

https://goo.gl/YpMkQf

The high pressure of the unit keeps the tank full, and it recovers
nicely. I use it for siding installs, trim work, repairs, light
framing, etc. With the battery in it, the DeWalt only weighs a few
pounds less than this unit, and has nowhere near the utility value.

My only gripe with the Lowe's unit is that it is loud, as are all the
oiless compressors. Not as loud as a couple of others I have owned,
but still loud to me.

Robert

The battery operated framing nailers are coming along rather nicely.
I have a Ridgid battery operated trim nailer and it's pretty cool. Not
fast, but hella convenient.

My buddy has the DeWalt battery framer and it sure beats lugging the
hose around.
Again, not quite as fast, but for anyone who'd be satisfied with the
inefficiency of the battery compressor, the battery framer would rock
their world.

We framed up a set of stairs with platforms on a deck with it and it
didn't really slow us down at all.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)