Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default If it slips, where's it gonna go?

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 8:20:40 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On 6/12/2018 7:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 7:52:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On 6/12/2018 5:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
http://www.woodbutcher.net/slips.shtml

I can't tell you how useful this little phrase has been. Any time I'm
doing something that involves applying force, I take a second and ask
myself this question. If my chisel slips, where's it going to go? If I
have to let go, where's the piece of wood I'm cutting going to go? (Is
anyone else's table saw height right under their belt? Ain't no way I'm
standing in the line of fire!!!)

Puckdropper

IF is the first question you should ask in any situation where you or
someone else's safety is involved.

If the tool slips........................
If the electricity goes off........................
If the house is on fire........................
If the car starts to slide........................
If an oncoming car comes across the center line........................

Good luck with #5.

For the most part, Items 1-4 are under your control and you get to decide
what to do. With #5, you have no idea what the other driver is going to do
once you make your decision as to how to avoid the collision. Will they go
back where they belong right away but after you've made a move to avoid
them? Will they keep drifting onto your side of the road, forcing you to go
right, right, right until you are in the ditch? What will they do, what you
will do, and how fast will this all happen at possibly 65 MPH?

There was a head-on collision near me this weekend but no one knows exactly
what happened because both drivers are still in a coma. The 3rd person is
dead.

All they know are these 2 things:

1 - The sedan with the passenger in it crossed the center line first.
2 - The oncoming SUV was straddling the center line when it tore through
the *passenger* side of the sedan, killing the passenger.

As of now, they don't know why the driver of the SUV went left, instead of
right. Did she see the at-fault driver going farther to her own left to avoid the SUV? Was there no other place for the SUV to go (somebody on the SUV's right?) Was it just a bad decision?

My point is that there are some situations where you can plan all you want
but if you are not the only human involved, parts of that plan may go awry.

The point of number 5 was you should always be considering your options.
Yes as the collision is unfolding things will be changing.

However as you are driving you should always be aware of the berm, etc
of the road you are driving. Is it a solid rock wall as on some
mountain roads; Is it a drop off of several dozen feet; or is it a field
you could go into to avoid the head on. Also you should always keep
track of the cars on both sides and behind you. In a developing head
on, it would be to your advantage to know where those cars was.

That sounds an awful lot like every day driving. ;-)