Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default If it slips, where's it gonna go?

On 6/12/2018 7:40 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 07:51:56 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

On 6/12/2018 5:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
http://www.woodbutcher.net/slips.shtml

I can't tell you how useful this little phrase has been. Any time I'm
doing something that involves applying force, I take a second and ask
myself this question. If my chisel slips, where's it going to go? If I
have to let go, where's the piece of wood I'm cutting going to go? (Is
anyone else's table saw height right under their belt? Ain't no way I'm
standing in the line of fire!!!)

Puckdropper

IF is the first question you should ask in any situation where you or
someone else's safety is involved.

If the tool slips........................
If the electricity goes off........................
If the house is on fire........................
If the car starts to slide........................
If an oncoming car comes across the center line........................

Used that last one today. Unmarked police car, no lights, just siren,
pulls around a car in the oncoming lane and expects everybody to get
out of his way. Fortunately there was a place to go.
I pay special attention to police cars. Yes they are emergency vehicle

and you must obey the regulations about emergency vehicles.

However; sometimes they get so caught up in the activities they are
engaging in, they forget other cars and their actions can actually cause
wrecks.

Two examples: I have a 21' sailboat that I trailer. One afternoon I was
coming home from the lake at the speed limit on a two lane road. Out of
nowhere a police car appeared behind me, and quickly passed me. As soon
as he was back in my lane, he immediately put on his brakes and started
to turned left. This left me looking for a way to avoid hitting him in
the rear, fortunately I missed him. If I had not, it would have been my
fault if I hit him in the rear, but I was a large vehicle with a longer
stopping distance so it gave me several very uncomfortable milliseconds.

I don't know how many times I have seen them stop a car and create a
traffic hazard. There were several time the police stopped cars on
86th street in Indianapolis. Since there was no place to get off the
road used, the right lane to write the ticket. I have seen accidents
around these stopped cars as the traffic tries to avoid the hazard.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre