Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Battery operated compressor

I am never sure of why tools like this are made, especially at that price point. If you were working in an area that didn't have electricity, say framing a house in a new or remote location, that wouldn't be your tool. If you are doing a trim out job, a rapid succession of nails down a side of door trim with your 16 or 15ga. gun would deplete it. Worse on long runs of base, chair rail, crown, etc.

And that compressor has pretty low specs as far as recovery would go. I have bought lowered powered compressors (lured by my aching back that is tired of hoisting them over the tailgate) in the past and have literally given them away. If I shoot a line of brads or trim mails quickly into trim those tiny tanks deplete so fast that I always seem to have the last few flush, then protruding from the trim. Countersinking trim gun nails (made to bend when they strike something hard)always makes a mess.

So it seems useless to most professionals I know, and too expensive for the average homeowner to get any real use out of it. You can buy a nice hot dog for $100 that stow nicely, and has a lot of nailing power.

I just bought this one about a month ago when it was on sale, and it has proven to be a nice little unit.

https://goo.gl/YpMkQf

The high pressure of the unit keeps the tank full, and it recovers nicely. I use it for siding installs, trim work, repairs, light framing, etc. With the battery in it, the DeWalt only weighs a few pounds less than this unit, and has nowhere near the utility value.

My only gripe with the Lowe's unit is that it is loud, as are all the oiless compressors. Not as loud as a couple of others I have owned, but still loud to me.

Robert