Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default How does Bowden cable work

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 12:30:52 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi all

I have taken some photos and tried to upload them to a public album (hopefully not done this for ages). They show the fittings and particularly the brass fitting I need to connect the sheath to. Hopefully this works

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L44RinHPY2v2UeEbA

A picture speaks 1000 words. ;-)

I have tried some searching but can only find examples of soldering the fitting to the wire rather than the sheath to the fitting. They seemed to use "silver solder" which I assume is not the same as plumbing solder

If that fitting is plastic and that brass socket doesn't release from
the fitting I wouldn't want to solder it in place.

As I believe has been mentioned, it might be best (therefore) to
'glue' the Bowden outer to the socket using a 'Liquid Metal' epoxy.
The bond will be in shear and as long as it's all nice and clean and
dry when done, shouldn't ever come out again. ;-)

Cheers, T i m