Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default How does Bowden cable work

Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
The brass of the fitting it too thick for it to be crimped and it is
perfectly smooth with no sign of buckling. A few people here have said
the sheath needs to be under tension. Given the Bowden cable forms an
arch from the waste to the knob, how do I put it under tension? Pushing
the ends of the sheath just alters the curve of the arc. I suspect I am
missing something - sorry

Its only under tension when you turn the knob to pop the plug up. Its not
pre-tensioned. The sheath just has to be securely anchored at each end.

Tim

Which is why typically replacement mechs incorporate both ends (with no
need to cobble bits together).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Concealed...e/171874130165

Tim

--