jason

Default Installation of Mulitple Satellite Receiver Lines

Here's what I have. I've got a family room downstairs with one Direct
TV satellite receiver, and another receiver in the upstairs family
room. What I want to do is to run multiple lines from the receiver
downstairs to an additional 3 tv's (plus my wide-screen of which it's
hooked up to now by an S-video line), and run the satellite receiver
that's upstairs to an additional 3 tv's as well. I've purchased a
4-way distribution amplifier as a test pilot for the downstairs line
as well as a diplexer. My thought process was that I could bring the
satellite line out of the receiver and into the 4-way amplifier, and
then run 4 lines out of that into each individual tv. While watching
channel 3 on each of my tv's, all of the tv's should pick up the one
channel being watched from the satellite receiver. I also purchased
the diplexer (test pilot as well) from Best Buy as one of the
associates suggested that I could run the 'rabbit style' antenna into
one side of the diplexer, and the satellite line into the other (this
requiring a diplexer for each individual tv). According to plan, if I
was watching channel 3 I would pick up the satellite signal and if I
was watching any other channel it would be a standard antenna feed
(letting the family have the option of watching other local channels
without having to watch what the original tv was watching). Keep in
mind that I do pay the additional monthly fees for the local channels.
Nothing has gone as planned. I've had the Direct TV for over a year
now, and I wanted to install satellite on all of these TV's before I
finished the rest of my basement. A few questions:

What am I doing wrong? Is this possible without buying additional
receivers for each TV? If I do buy additional receivers, will I have
to pay the $4.95/month service fee? Is there something else that I
need to purchase to make my game plan work?

Please let me know as I thought I had this "perfect plan", but nothing
seems to be working. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-Jason