Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_91_] Bill[_91_] is offline

Default Slightly OT - This Building Offends My Senses

-MIKE- wrote:
On 6/10/18 7:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
During my weekend travels, I was eating at a luxurious sidewalk
cafe, also
known as the Two Rivers Burrito Co., a taco joint in Westfield,
MA. As I
enjoyed my gourmet meal, I looked across the street at the City
Hotel.

At first glance I simply said "That's an ugly building". After
a very
short time I realize why it was so visually unpleasing.

The tree partially blocks the building but if you look closely
you'll see
that the third floor windows have no alignment with the second
floor windows,
plus none of the windows on either floor are spaced in any kind
of symmetrical
manner in relation to each other . The rectangles near the top
(old windows
or vents perhaps?) also don't line up nicely with anything
below them.

Aside from strange layout of the windows in relation to each
other, both
set of windows are shifted to one side of building, touching
the trim on
one side, with a 6'-8' gap on the other.

https://i.imgur.com/28zvdCM.jpg

You should be able to walk around via this Google Map link.
(the taco joint
is directly behind you)

https://tinyurl.com/city-hotel-ma

I wonder if the building was renovated on the inside for a
maximum/better
room layout and they let the exterior be damned, ending up
however it had
to based on the interior. I almost tossed my tacos just looking
at it. ;-)

Nobody cares about style, proportion, scale, or symmetry anymore
because basically, no one hires architects anymore.Â* Once general
contractors got their own PCs with home design software, well,
"Why do we need to pay that snobby guy in the suit anymore and
put up with his bitching about us staying on the plans?"

I think that alone is to blame for the loss of all semblance of
style, beauty, character, and most certainly, art in the majority
of homes built this century.

This architect has a great blog about the rise of McMansions and
fall of architectural style in the suburban sprawl of America.
He even has a post dedicated to the county I live in.

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/148605513816/mcmansions-101-what-makes-a-mcmansion-bad

That was interesting. Engineering and industrialization have also
been enemies of style. Consider a common chair.