Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor Freight stuff

On 6/10/2018 9:52 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/10/2018 06:44 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Same with their drills. Drilling a few holes here and there - up to
about 5/16 in 1/4 inch mild steel? - OK. A few 1 inch holes in SPF
lumber? sure.

Drill 30 3/8 inch holes in 1 inch alloy steel???* Not so good -
especially if you plan on doing it every day for a month - - - -

I'd classify their drill bits as pure ****. The ones at Home Depot or
Lowes are not much better.

*As far as their hand tools - wrenches and sockets etc???
Some are pretty clunky - but then so are some "industrial quality"
tools like Gedore.

I use HF wrenches for the tool tube on one of my bikes. They are
useable and if the tube gets ripped off I'm not out a lot. I use the
tools on the bikes for routine maintenance at home to make sure I have
everything I need but, knock on wood, I've seldom needed them on the
road.

* I carry Craftsman - the old ones . If I need a tool out on the road I
*NEED* that tool , no room for a crap shoot . That said , I have a set
of the HF box ratchet wrenches , top notch and I wish I'd got a set of
metrics too . It's a crap shoot with HF , ya gots to pick your way
through the minefield of crap to get to the gems . Haven't needed a tool
for my bike in a long long time , but old habits die hard and I useta
ride a Shovel . If the right one comes along I might again ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old