Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W[_3_] Dave W[_3_] is offline

Default Smart Meter

On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 11:13:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Friday, 1 June 2018 13:51:40 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
My electricity supplier has recommended a tariff which would save me
money over the year, but signing up for it also includes this as part
of the T&Cs:

"By signing up to the tariff you are registering your interest for a
Smart Meter. This means we may contact you in the future to discuss a
smart meter installation as and when you become eligible."

Would this lock me into having to have a Smart Meter? I see no way that
I can have this tariff and exclude this clause. I bet they would say
that I was eligible as soon as I signed up.

--
Davey.

Smart meters can turn off the supply and that's a fact. Whether the provider use that facility is another matter.
If people are in debt (the usual reason for disconnection) then smart meters come into their own. The supplier can remotely adjust the tarrif and recover the debt without disconnection. This is not new, the prepaid meters have done this for years i.e. put £1 on the card, get 80p of electric. This is by arrangement with the customer and not something they would do covertly. Advantages to customers is clearing the debt whilst remaining on supply and the company has a huge cost saving by not having to have a little man come out and make adjustments.
Someone mentioned hacking and it is possible. GCHQ intervened last year to strengthen the national infrastructer against hacking.

Again we are far from the original question. No you can't be forced to accept one but the tarrif you choose may depend on you saying yes.

No it isn't a fact. No doubt many can. Mine can't.
--
Dave W