Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Battery operated compressor

On 6/10/2018 6:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 10:46:19 PM UTC-4, OFWW wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jun 2018 14:51:01 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Jun 2018 12:44:51 -0700, OFWW
wrote:

On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 12:20:19 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 1:37:39 PM UTC-4, Markem wrote:
Saw this in a fathers day article

https://goo.gl/yxKmtJ

For about $300.

Is 1.2 SCFM @ 90 PSI enough for decent usage?

You need to check the tools you use to see what they are rated as
needing.

For nailers probably, any other air tool probably not.

polisher 15 cfm @ 90psi
orbital sander 4 CFM @ 90 PSI
angle grinder 3 CFM @ 90 PSI small
air saw for 16 gauge 4 CFM @ 90 PSI
18 gage nailer 0.5 CFM @ 90 PSI
framing nailer 3 CFM @ 90 PSI
1/2" impact gun 6 CFM @ 90 PSI

Just to give you some of the items.

In order for specific air flow to be measured in SCFM, most experts
agree that the air flow must meet the following set of rigid
environmental circumstances;

The air temperature must be 68 degrees Fahrenheit
The relative humidity of the air must be 36%
The air itself must be measured at sea level

As far as I know basic cfm is what it says at the PSI it was rated as.

So that sort of takes us back to my original question. The DeWalt battery
compressor is rated in SCFM (1.2 SCFM @ 90 PSI) as is my PC compressor
(2.6 SCFM @ 90 PSI)

Since the DW is rated at less than half my PC, where do you think the $300
1.2 SCFM unit would "fail" (i.e. not be up to the task at hand) but the
$99 PC would handle with ease?

I should not fail, it will just have to cycle on twice as much.

Based on your list of items, are you saying that the only tool that *either*
compressor will operate is the 18 gauge nailer?

It depend on how much you need to use it. A nailer uses very little air
is very short blasts. Air tools that use continuous air will drain it
much more quickly, more than likely faster than it can recharge.