RB

Default New Home Water Heater Argument

I don't think it's the builder's problem because you should have known
what size water heater was being installed. It should have been a part
of your contract and was certainly stamped on the side of the water heater.

However, a 50 gallon electric water heater is inadequate for 5 people.
Electric water heaters are the least expensive to install but the most
expensive to operate (you will come to hate electric water heaters when
you see your electric bill) and additionally they have the lowest
recovery rate. Gas or oil fired recover much faster. I would guess
that a 50 gallon electric unit would have to replaced by a 75 gallon, or
larger, electric unit.

I have two homes, one with a single 30 gal oil fired water heater and
the other with two, 50 gallon electric water heaters. We can run out
with the electric units but never with the oil fired one.

RB

Jim wrote:
The builder of our new home (we bought after 95% completed)has
installed a 50 gallon electric water heater in a house that has 3.5
baths. Our house is less than 3 months old. We soon noticed that we
were running out of hot water after two baths and a shower. We have 3
small kids, so the baths were close together.

I have tried to convince the builder that the electric water heater
needs to be a minimum of 66 gallons, but more like 88 when you
consider a washing maching, dishwasher and jacquzi tub. I've done the
research and followed the calculation method, but the builder is not
willing to do anything about it after several conversations and
providing them with the calculation method.

I even called several local plumbers hoping that would influence the
builder (we've moved in from out of town). I don't know what else to
do beside spreading out the showers, baths, clothes washing and
dishwasher times, which is something my wife is not willing to
do....yet! We feel the builder should replace the water heater with a
more sizeable one. The argument from the builder is that this is what
they install in all their house (apparently regardless of size and the
fact that this one is electric and the rest of the new neighborhood is
gas). Also they said that the one we have now could not be installed
in another new house as the warranty would not be valid.

What can I do besides buying one myself at my cost? Is this my problem
or the builders?

What help can anyone provide?

Thanks...Jim