MLD

Default moving water main valve

Some plumbers are reluctant to shut off the city water supply located
outside the house. I had the main valve replaced a couple of years ago and
the plumber arranged for the city to shut off the water. In the process of
doing so, the extension shaft (surface to underground valve) broke off.
Street had to be dug up to get at the valve and to replace the extension
shaft. City trucks, 4-5 guys, Jack hammers, back hoes, hot topping
etc-----Plumber quote "Now you see why I want the city to be the one who
shuts off the outside water".
MLD

"Cory Lechner" wrote in message
The water main valve in our house is old (25 years++) and is leaking

pretty
bad (3/4" copper pipe). The valve is situated just above floor level, in
which the water main pipe it is connected to comes out of a 12" deep
concrete hole (sump hole?), 24" x 24" square (weeping tile pipe drain into
this hole as well). The sump hole has a plywood cover with a slot in it

for
the water main pipe to come through. The present water main valve then
leads into the water meter, then into the wall to supply the house with
water. There is also bare copper ground cable and clamp (which is badly
rusted from the leaky valve) clamped to the water main pipe below the
plywood cover as well (in the sump hole) that will have to be re-installed
as well.

I want to replace the old leaking valve with a new one that appears to

allow
a bit better water flow (the new valve appears to have a bigger opening

for
water flow). If I just wanted to repair the valve and not worry about
improving water flow, I could just replace the O-rings in the valve (but I
want improve water flow a bit). I will have to sweat a number of copper
fittings to complete the job.

My question:

I want to move the valve so that it is not visible, so I want to change

it's
location to down into the sump hole below the plywood cover instead of

above
it. Is there any problems foreseen with moving the location of the valve

below the cover into the sump hole?

Cory