View Single Post
  #18   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Selectivity vs. sensitivity

On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 12:35:38 PM UTC-5, Ron D. wrote:
I had an 82 Toyota Celica. Radio was horrible. It looked like it was designed for an external antenna amplifier and when one was added, the number of stations received increased.

It was very "hissy" when the speakers were upgraded,

Ford and GM seemed to apply importance to their car stereos in the early 1980s. Amps with DPL (anti-clippping gain control), speakers from Bose, tuners from Hughes Aircraft which were also used in David Hafler tuners, and Blaupunkt for the cassette decks. Bose also made some amps for mainly Caddilacs, they were class D and ran into very low impedance. But that was no stranger to Bose, the speakers in the 901s are 0.9 ohms each. They get near 8 ohms being all in series.

And a buddy of mine has a 2005 Ford Taurus and that thing gets stations I can't even dream of getting. Two of them I really want, 94.9 and 97.5 out of Akron, which is not all that close. And he gets them clean. I might have to fell him over this. (jk)

House wise, I have a Technics Professional ST-9030. See http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...t-9030.363631/ I have been able to get 3 stations on the same frequency just by rotating the antenna.

The FM bandwidth is selectable from auto and wide. They probably should have made it auto and narrow. It may continuously change bandwidths in auto mode.

I ould like auto, narrow and wide if I can't have a variable control. In fact I wouldn't mind auto because signal conditions change.

To make things more interesting, I added a Carver TX1-11 signal process which makes multipath noise "go away".

I bet all that is is a stereo blend with logic. Bob did alot of "magic" that way. Those asymmetrical charged coupled device tuners of his were not the cat's ass. All it did was to detect what it thought was distortion along maybe with multipath which is easy to detect and start blending left and right and adding a digitally delayed signal to the L-R.

More interesting yet, I have a 4bx dynamic range expander with impact restoration.

I am going to build something like that one day if I live long enough, and all in discrete components.

The tuner had two outputs. One filtered at 15 kHz so it would not interfere with tape decks and one with a higher response.

Regular FM stereo is capable of 19 KHz but it takes some doing. It takes a very accurate pilot cancel circuit with a PLL generated null signal to assure a perfect sine wave. Interference to the wave would be reproduced, but also prevented from interfering with the phase lock of the MPX decoder oscillator. I don't want the job, maybe Revox.

I also owned a automotive Blaupunkt Tucson which was very good coupled with an active AM antenna.

Seems like you're into AM. Well, it is more people's media because it is much cheaper to have an AM station than FM, and forget TV. Maybe, for the common good we should support AM radio.

I'll have to give that some thought.