Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Trash or Treasure ?

On 6/9/2018 6:07 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 12:38:54 PM UTC-5,

wrote:

: thrift stores
: Habitat For Humanity Re-Store
: online classifieds "Free Stuff" or similar on FaceBook
https://www.kijiji.ca/b-free-stuff/k...220001l1700209
I prefer to see something like that old chair go to someone
who wants to spruce it up - if not actually a treasure -
then maybe a funky piece for the cottage ..
I've seen people leave stuff by the road for Free
and someone usually stops ..
John T.

I never think to give things to those "recycle" places. Your and

Colin's suggestions are perfect, always good to be reminded of such.
Thanks.

Sonny

My issue with giving stuff away is not the people who truly want it, but
wading through the opportunistic mercenaries who then show up and start
eyeballing your place to see what else they can convince you to
give-a-way or sell for 1ยข on the $100. Absolutely ****es me off to give
something away and then see it on Craiglist or one of the Facebook
exchanges the very same day for cash money. I don't care about the
money. I get ****ed about the opportunistic assholes who took the
opportunity away from somebody who truly wanted it.

Next is that often the time spent giving something away is intrusive.

Some years ago I gave away a cheap radial arm saw. It was one of my
rare successes. I posted that it was totally free, but the person who
would get it had to prove to me they wanted and were going to use it.
Not just take it because it was free so they could flip it. One guy
sent me a picture of his wife sawing trim boards with a miter box. A
month later he sent me pictures of the new trim all through out his
house. THAT'S the kind of person I want to give stuff to.