Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron D. Ron D. is offline

Default Selectivity vs. sensitivity

I had an 82 Toyota Celica. Radio was horrible. It looked like it was designed for an external antenna amplifier and when one was added, the number of stations received increased.

It was very "hissy" when the speakers were upgraded,

I have a 2000 Solara and the Radio is pretty nice. 5 CD changer, cassette and AM/FM.

==

House wise, I have a Technics Professional ST-9030. See http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...t-9030.363631/ I have been able to get 3 stations on the same frequency just by rotating the antenna.

The FM bandwidth is selectable from auto and wide. They probably should have made it auto and narrow. It may continuously change bandwidths in auto mode.

To make things more interesting, I added a Carver TX1-11 signal process which makes multipath noise "go away".

More interesting yet, I have a 4bx dynamic range expander with impact restoration.

The tuner had two outputs. One filtered at 15 kHz so it would not interfere with tape decks and one with a higher response.

I also owned a automotive Blaupunkt Tucson which was very good coupled with an active AM antenna.