Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Pretty Cool Power Poles - Laminated Wood

On 6/10/2018 10:50 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

I remember as a kid in the `50s & `60s the unmistakable smell of
Creosote being a pretty common thing, especially during the hot
summer months. That once familiar odor has now disappeared. I
wonder if it is still used at all anymore?

No, we have a "veritable plethora" of essentially useless replacements
now since EPA banned it for everything except commercial registered use.

"Currently, creosote is used for commercial purposes only; it has no
registered residential uses. Creosote is a restricted use pesticide that
can be used in outdoor settings such as in railroad ties and utility
poles. Indoor applications of creosote are prohibited as well as
application to wood intended for use in interiors or for use in contact
with food, feed, or drinking water."

Can't find a fence post that will last much over five years even, any
more where have 60+ yr old in pasture that are still serviceable. Part
is the sorry-axx wood they use but mostly it's lack of any serviceable
treatment.