HA HA Budys Here

Default New Home Water Heater Argument

From: Tony Hwang

Tim wrote:
(Jim) wrote in message
.com...

The builder of our new home (we bought after 95% completed)has
installed a 50 gallon electric water heater in a house that has 3.5
baths. Our house is less than 3 months old. We soon noticed that we
were running out of hot water after two baths and a shower. We have 3
small kids, so the baths were close together.

I have tried to convince the builder that the electric water heater
needs to be a minimum of 66 gallons, but more like 88 when you
consider a washing maching, dishwasher and jacquzi tub. I've done the
research and followed the calculation method, but the builder is not
willing to do anything about it after several conversations and
providing them with the calculation method.

I even called several local plumbers hoping that would influence the
builder (we've moved in from out of town). I don't know what else to
do beside spreading out the showers, baths, clothes washing and
dishwasher times, which is something my wife is not willing to
do....yet! We feel the builder should replace the water heater with a
more sizeable one. The argument from the builder is that this is what
they install in all their house (apparently regardless of size and the
fact that this one is electric and the rest of the new neighborhood is
gas). Also they said that the one we have now could not be installed
in another new house as the warranty would not be valid.

What can I do besides buying one myself at my cost? Is this my problem
or the builders?

What help can anyone provide?

Thanks...Jim

In all honesty, I think this is your problem not the builders. The
builder can't forsee how many people are moving into a house and what
their hot water usage habits are. If the water heater leaked, or was
in some other way malfunctioning, I could see where you would have a
valid complaint for the builder.

You are either going to need to buy a bigger hot water heater, or buy
another one and hook it in series with your existing one to provide a
larger quantity of hot water.

-Tim

Hi,
Even if it were a gas heater, it'd be not big enough. I'd install
another one or replace with a bigger one. That's what happens when house
is built on spec. not being customized. It's your problem.
Haven't you go through the spec. sheet of the house before signing to
buy it?
Tony

Some people...

Some people seem to be of the impression that anything they're dissatisfied
with is someone else's problem/fault.

Buying a house isn't like buying a gift for someone, who can simply return it
or exchange it for a different color.

It's one thing if you looked at the model, and the home you 're buying isn't
done exactly the same way, or with the exact additional features you contracted
for... or of the same quality... but you bought this house after seeing it 95%
complete.

I take it the plumbing was done?