Posted to rec.woodworking
Spalted Walt Spalted Walt is offline

Default Pretty Cool Power Poles - Laminated Wood

Sonny wrote:

On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 9:07:02 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

I strongly expect they're treated after the glue-up, not before...

Right. That's what I was thinking. Subsequent to the glue-up,
I wondered about the creosote treatment, if creosote, affecting the adhesion.

According to this brief video, one manufacturer, LWS, uses Penta
(pentachlorophenol) for its preservative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1wY7J8ETJk

I remember as a kid in the `50s & `60s the unmistakable smell of
Creosote being a pretty common thing, especially during the hot
summer months. That once familiar odor has now disappeared. I
wonder if it is still used at all anymore?

As to others' comments, I had assumed the poles were original to the old Erie Canal locks, and not something new, hence, their being reinstalled as part & party to the rest stop/"park", for the purpose of their preservation, assuming there are only 3 (remaining?) poles, assuming no others are installed anywhere else.

If they are original to the locks and no others exist, the rest stop folks should place a plaque stating so.

Sonny