Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall[_2_] Adrian Brentnall[_2_] is offline

Default Advice on Phones

In article ,
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Yes - that's a thought....
The camera on the Huawei seems to be 3.15Megapixels... the Archos core
50 I was looking at has two cameras - but the front one is 13mp (!)

Don't forget the quality of the actual lens. Might be an extremely
expensive part of the phone, since the physics of this hasn't much changed
over the years, unlike chips.

I had a picture of a car taken on my Samsung used in a club calender.
Ignoring any artistic merit ;-), it looked as good in terms of definition
and colour etc as any of the others, some of which I know to have been
taken on very expensive cameras.

Yes. A friend of mine is an experienced photographer/graphics designer,
and is involved with a local, high-end Art Gallery.
He used to lug all of his expensive digital photographic kit in to the
gallery every 2 weeks to photograph the new exhibits, until one day he
thought "What about using my phone instead?"
(I think it's an I-phone - since all of his other tech is Apple)

The resultant photos were deemed to be just as good as his 'proper'
photos (he produces an online catalogue for each exhibition) - so now
his proper camera kit stays at home...

My little 'go to' camera - a 15-year-old Fuji F10 is "only" 6
megapixels, and that's grand for all I need to do - so having a phone
with similar abilities, plus the advantage of usually having it in my
pocket, would be a plus.
The phone review sites I've seen don't seem to review the phone cameras
- other than to give a megapixel rating - so it's hard to know which
ones are better than others...?