Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] mb07jeb@gmail.com is offline

Default Smart Meter

On Friday, 1 June 2018 13:51:40 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
My electricity supplier has recommended a tariff which would save me
money over the year, but signing up for it also includes this as part
of the T&Cs:

"By signing up to the tariff you are registering your interest for a
Smart Meter. This means we may contact you in the future to discuss a
smart meter installation as and when you become eligible."

Would this lock me into having to have a Smart Meter? I see no way that
I can have this tariff and exclude this clause. I bet they would say
that I was eligible as soon as I signed up.

--
Davey.

Geting away from smart meters for awhile I've just been reading about the accuracy of meters. Of the people who complain about the size of their bill 24% of the meters tested were found to be inaccurate. These are UK Gov figures for 2016. There are approx 56 million meters in the UK so could add up to a huge overcharge if the readings are high, but they don't say whether the meters were up or down