Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Smart Meter

On 09/06/2018 23:07, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
On Friday, 1 June 2018 13:51:40 UTC+1, DaveyÂ* wrote:

My electricity supplier has recommended a tariff which would save me
money over the year, but signing up for it also includes this as part
of the T&Cs:

"By signing up to the tariff you are registering your interest for a
Smart Meter. This means we may contact you in the future to discuss a
smart meter installation as and when you become eligible."

Would this lock me into having to have a Smart Meter? I see no way that
I can have this tariff and exclude this clause. I bet they would say
that I was eligible as soon as I signed up.

Smart meters can turn off the supply and that's a fact.

No its not with plenty of them.

Whether the provider use that facility is another matter.
If people are in debt (the usual reason for disconnection) then
smart meters come into their own. The supplier can remotely
adjust the tarrif and recover the debt without disconnection.

Dont need a smartmeter to do that. Smartmeters just record
the amount of electricity used and when it was used, and its
the back office function that applys the tariff, turning the
use into the amount charged. And only the back office
function can do that because only it knows the plan
detail, what the standing charge per day is, what
discount for payment on time is, etc etc etc.

They are supposed to be able to charge different rates at different
times, but it's not clear how they do this. To do it as you suggest, it
would have to sent back the usage hour by hour, and possibly minute by
minute - which would require a very reliable (and busy) remote
connection. Otherwise the supplier could send the rate structure to the
meter which would adjust its rates accordingly.

--
Max Demian