Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default How does Bowden cable work

Bowden cables work due to the core piece having nowhere to go but up and
down the inside of the sheath. Its obvious that if the sheath is not
continuous then you will end up with just a cable that grows longer and
shorter by bulging.

Depending on the design normally the ends are mirror images of each other.
However as long as you can hold the two sheaths together you should be OK.
Can you not use a small clamp. The ends are normally solid, not the bendy
springy stuff the rest of the outer is made of. You need to make sure its
stronger than the combined force of the friction in the cable and the force
needed to raise and lower the plug. Back many years ago when TVs were dual
standard some very long bowden cables were used and the ends often clamped
to allow for switch movement adjustment.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
Hi all

I need to extend the Bowden cable for my bath pop-up waste. I have got a
replacement cable and now struggling to fit it. The old cable is terminated
at each end with a brass fitting which allows the full cable in one side but
only the core the other.

I had to cut the old sheath off the brass fitting and the bit inside came
out buy twisting it with a pliers and pulling it out.

Now having fitted the new one, when I operate the waste the sheath pops out
of the brass fitting so just ends up using the force to move the sheath into
a bit of an arc. It would appear that the sheath needs to be attached to the
brass fitting somehow. Both old and new sheaths are a fairly loose fitting
in the brass fitting so glue may not be strong enough (if I could work out
which to use). The inside of the brass fitting is smooth so threading it on
doesn't seem to be the trick either.

Anyone have any idea how this is supposed to be attached ? Maybe I am
missing something about how Bowden cables work and the sheath doesn't need
to be attached.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Lee.