TURTLE

Default 240 volt wiring

"Charles" wrote in message
news:uy5Ib.692321$Tr4.1727984@attbi_s03...
I purchased an electric heater for my garage that requires 240V and about

25
amps. I'm looking for a little advice on how to wire up an outlet to go
with it.

Right now I have a box with the wiring pretty much ready to be routed out.
The main wiring from the house has black, white and red, with the black

and
white each going through a 40 amp fuse. The outlet I need says NEMA 6-30,
it's rated for 30 amps and has two horizontal prongs plus ground. I

believe
the correct way to wire it is with the black and red to the horizontal
prongs (the ground is just for safety). My question is about the ground.
There is no ground currently wired into the garage, should I connect the
white wire, leave it disconnected, or what? Is there some relatively easy
way to make a good ground? I wouldn't mind switching over my 110 outlets

3-prong as well.

Thanks.

This is Turtle.

In the modern world we have everything grounded and feel safe by doing it. I
would not have a electric heat in my home , if it was not grounded. Run
ground wires for everything. The putting on the ground prong of the
receptical and plugs was the single best thing that stopped a lot of fires
and people getting killed by the electricity.

TURTLE