Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring a cooker hood

On Sat, 09 Jun 2018 12:22:21 +0100, Graeme wrote:

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 09/06/18 09:18, Graeme wrote:

Directly behind the 13 amp socket, which is on a ring main, is a
wooden stud, so Plan A is to replace the socket with a junction box
mounted on the stud, maintaining the ring main, and hard wire the
cooker hood to the same junction box.

Non starter - you still need a fuse (so you need a fused spur, which
takes up the same space as a socket, minus perhaps the space of the
plugtop)

OK, noted, thanks.

Can you drop a cable from the ceiling down to the hood?

Or can you joint the ring, take a spur up 6" above the new hood and
mount a socket there?

Not impossible, but the whole wall is tiled (no cupboards), and I don't
really want to try cutting a hole for a socket, in existing tiles.

If the loading isn't more than 2 amps, how about a clock connector?
Minimal front projection, so you could perhaps use a shallow surface box.
It's fused, too.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK0995.html