Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default Saving LCD screens that were under water

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 10:13:54 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

There are a few pices of tube gear. I have not plugged them in, because
I fear water in the transformers. I'll probably pop the tops off them
transformers and see how they look inside. There were also some
computers in there. Old ones that I really wont miss. But I found that
all computer motherboards and cards do survive floods. But the drives
are all trash. But I am not gonna waste time on them computers. I may
salvege a few of the cards and the RAM, and send the rest of them to the
recycler.

Blech. Sorry to hear that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

That GPS with touch screen was viewable at first. Cloudy, but I could
still see the screen. The touch part did not work though. I left it
turned on, charged the battery and what started as small black blobs on
the screen, turned into one huge black blob in the middle of the screen.
I'd say that 2/3 of the screen is now black. All I see is light around
the edges, and it's just light, nothing usable to read or see. It's kind
of like it's self destructing. I even layed it on my dashboard in my car
and let the sun overheat it. I never liked that thing anyhow, so I wont
miss it. I've only messed with it to see what happens to a LCD screen
that was under water. Now I know!!!

On the other hand, almost all radios that were flooded do still work. I
just made sure they were well dried before plugging them in. Of course
they all need new speakers, but thats an easy fix.