Posted to rec.woodworking
Electric Comet Electric Comet is offline

Default the power of iteration

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 09:48:13 -0700 99 wrote:

Some stuff is still a crap shoot. I went through five routers with
them only a couple years ago only to finally demand my money back.
Every single one had visible runout and two actually had spindles
that felt loose in the bearings. I bought an identical (except for
the plastic color) import router on Ebay and it was perfect. Its
mounted in one of my small router tables semi permanently.

router probably takes more time per iteration so it will be longer
before they get it right

makes sense since higher rpms requires accuracy precision and
there is not much tolerance for lack of either

but meanwhile they still sell them and that funds future designs

One of my absolute favorite T-handle hex key sets came from HF many
years ago. I would put them up against my Bohndus set of screw
driver handle hex keys. More recently two of the worst (nearly dead
soft) t-handle hex key sets came from HF too.

they seem to source very similar tools from different factories in
china and then let the customer failure rate decide the winning
factory

would love to know the specifics of the arrangements hf makes
with the different factories

like who pays to ship the crap back and who pays for the customer
service to handle the crap and all that

hf might be one of few companies that actually sends ships back to
china full

is that considered an export