Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default How does Bowden cable work

On Sat, 09 Jun 2018 12:24:05 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
Anyone have any idea how this is supposed to be attached ? Maybe I am
missing something about how Bowden cables work and the sheath doesn't
need to be attached.

If you look at high load situations where you need flexible cables - like
say a car gearchange - they generally use two so the load is taken by each
as a pull.

I thought they generally had two for the two planes of movement, one
doing the push pull and the other the rotation (to duplicate the 'H'
gear selector gate)?

If you wish to have one which both pulls and pushes - for low load only -
it need a solid inner (so far less flexible) and the outer secured at both
ends. That can be with a clamp, or a crimped on ferrule secured to a
bracket by a circlip, etc.

Yup, because the gear change on my Messerschmitt KR200 is 'sequential'
it just has a push-pull cable with more rigid 'ends' where it connects
to the gear change lever or gear selector arm on the engine.

It actually travels in a open 'Z', from by your right knee, up the RHS
of the cockpit, across the back and out into the engine bay and onto
the engine.

I think the brand is 'Teleflex'.

http://www.tnorrismarine.co.uk/produ...-morse-cables/

Cheers, T i m