Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Pretty Cool Power Poles - Laminated Wood

On 6/7/2018 11:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Along one of the walkways were 3 power poles made of laminated wood. I wish
I had thought to add something to give a sense of scale, but I forgot. Just consider the fact that the wires from these poles ran to the other side of
thruway (seen in the background) so you can imagine how large they are.

The poles are rectangular and tapered.

https://i.imgur.com/V7ZJkOn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tfVIf54.jpg

Shape may make difference in resonances--in some areas of US utilities
have issues with woodpeckers "topping" poles causing them to fail under
ice or wind.

EPRI funded some research from which appeared that some frequencies
generated are in similar range of certain insects that they feed on so
they're convinced there's a meal there if just dig far enough...

I doubt had any bearing on the actual folks making these but when did
the research hadn't as yet seen anything quite like these in use.