Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default How does Bowden cable work

On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 03:42:35 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

snip

Anyone have any idea how this is supposed to be attached ?

Nope, sorry.

Maybe I am missing something about how Bowden cables work and the sheath doesn't need to be attached.

snip

Whilst not familiar with such a system for a waste plug I am familiar
with Bowden cables in a general sense and I would say they (the outer)
have to be 'anchored' with reference to the inner and the force acting
on them (with exceptions).

Like, if you had a Bowden cable going a short distance in a straight
line between two points it's possible that the inner cable could act
like a simple pushrod and so the outer could be considered
superfluous.

Of if you have something like a remote (mechanical) shutter release
for a camera where it's generally only used for compression and the
inner poling out the open end is 'free', but would still need to be
activated with regard to the outer (eg, if you just push the inner the
other would move as well, resulting in nothing at the output end).

Another exception would be if the outer tube was rigid, then it might
get away with only being retained at one place (being rigid means it's
then being effectively retained at all places).

So, if we are talking about a plunger that causes a basin plug to 'pop
up', I would imagine it could be covered by any of the examples above?

Cheers, T i m