Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring a cooker hood

In article ,
Graeme wrote:

Having found a supplier of carbon filters, I need to mount our new (to
us!) cooker hood, which replaces an older non working hood. There is a
13 amp socket in the wall, used by the original hood, but, because the
new hood is a different shape, and has to be mounted higher than the old
one, the power socket will directly behind the hood.

Directly behind the 13 amp socket, which is on a ring main, is a wooden
stud, so Plan A is to replace the socket with a junction box mounted on
the stud, maintaining the ring main, and hard wire the cooker hood to
the same junction box.

Plan B could be to just remount the existing socket on the stud, so that
it is recessed rather than flush, although I am not sure that would give
clearance for the cooker hood plug to be flush, too.

Are either of these options seriously non compliant or unsafe? I don't
want to find an insurance claim, for example, failing because of
allegedly dangerous wiring, or whatever.

Since cooker hoods tend to be high up on a wall, I usually wire them to
the lighting circuit which is closer. You can still fit an isolating
switch etc if needed.

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.