View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default How does Bowden cable work

Hi all

I need to extend the Bowden cable for my bath pop-up waste. I have got a replacement cable and now struggling to fit it. The old cable is terminated at each end with a brass fitting which allows the full cable in one side but only the core the other.

I had to cut the old sheath off the brass fitting and the bit inside came out buy twisting it with a pliers and pulling it out.

Now having fitted the new one, when I operate the waste the sheath pops out of the brass fitting so just ends up using the force to move the sheath into a bit of an arc. It would appear that the sheath needs to be attached to the brass fitting somehow. Both old and new sheaths are a fairly loose fitting in the brass fitting so glue may not be strong enough (if I could work out which to use). The inside of the brass fitting is smooth so threading it on doesn't seem to be the trick either.

Anyone have any idea how this is supposed to be attached ? Maybe I am missing something about how Bowden cables work and the sheath doesn't need to be attached.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Lee.