Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Pretty Cool Power Poles - Laminated Wood

On 6/8/18 8:41 PM, Larry Kraus wrote:
On 6/8/2018 12:37 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I was traveling on the NYS Thruway (I-90) in western NY this
afternoon. They've
turned one of the old Erie Canal locks (52) into a rest stop of sorts.
More
like an historical park, with an audio tour app and a few restored
buildings
from the earlyÂ* 1900's. Pretty neat place to stop compared to your normal
highway service area.

Along one of the walkways were 3 power poles made of laminated wood. I
wish
I had thought to add something to give a sense of scale, but I forgot.
Just consider the fact that the wires from these poles ran to the
other side of
thruway (seen in the background) so you can imagine how large they are.

The poles are rectangular and tapered.

https://i.imgur.com/V7ZJkOn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tfVIf54.jpg

We started seeing laminated poles in this area about ten years ago. They
seemed to be used mostly in locations requiring very large (height
and/or diameter) poles. I suspect it's become very hard and expensive to
find quality trees in these sizes. Cheaper and easier to work with than
the metal or concrete alternatives.

They can also be pre-stressed for installations in which they are under
a lot of pull pressure and it would be difficult to install guy wires.

Sort of like what they do with concrete structures in which they
pretension cables in the concrete.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)