Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default removing baseboard heaters, reusing the circuits

"Jim Wilkins" on Thu, 7 Jun 2018 21:01:34 -0400
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
"Jim Wilkins" on Thu, 7 Jun 2018
07:11:30 -0400
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 21:41:21 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Going to be removing the baseboard heater in the bedroom. It is
just taking up space. (Is small house- 3 inches would make a
difference on the water closet's door side.)

"easy part" is removing them. What I want to do is route the
power into a wall socket so I can have bedside lamps in there.
Surface
mount and just trim the wires to fit?

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.

Many of those baseboard heaters are 220 volt. Just check before
changing things ....

An easy way to map 120V outlets to their breakers is to plug in a
vacuum cleaner that makes the floor vibrate, so you can hear it
running from the breaker box.

In the other direction I extended the leads of a clamp-on AC current
probe on the breaker wire with an extension cord to the DVM
upstairs,
to record the heater duty cycle and room temperature on a computer.
Banana plugs fit in 3/16" OD telescoping brass tubing.

If memory serves - they're marked at the box.

To complicate matters - the box is outside, so this is a summer
project. House was built in 1905. Wired, maybe rewired - later.
--
pyotr filipivich

An outside box may make things easier if you can see light go on and
off in an upstairs window as you flip the breaker. The houses my
father and I rewired were built in 1830 and ~1890 and the fuses or
breakers were in the basement. My sister's house is from 1790. We
found that the vacuum cleaner rumble carried down there better than a
loud radio or yelling from the second floor.

The bedroom is on the other side (and corner) of the house.

Fortunately, they are all nicely labeled.
--
pyotr filipivich