Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Pretty Cool Power Poles - Laminated Wood

On 6/7/2018 11:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I was traveling on the NYS Thruway (I-90) in western NY this afternoon. They've
turned one of the old Erie Canal locks (52) into a rest stop of sorts. More
like an historical park, with an audio tour app and a few restored buildings
from the early 1900's. Pretty neat place to stop compared to your normal
highway service area.

Along one of the walkways were 3 power poles made of laminated wood. I wish
I had thought to add something to give a sense of scale, but I forgot. Just consider the fact that the wires from these poles ran to the other side of
thruway (seen in the background) so you can imagine how large they are.

The poles are rectangular and tapered.

https://i.imgur.com/V7ZJkOn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tfVIf54.jpg

Pretty darn cool! I suspect they were laminated so that they would not
bend so much over time, given the fact that they have no guy wires and
terminate the straight line of the lines into a 90 degree turn.

I used the car in the second Pic for scale. Looks like the girth of the
poles may be about 30 feet. LOL...

Actually they look to be 24~30 inches in diameter.