Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Selectivity vs. sensitivity

I've known the basics of sensitivity and selectivity for a long time,
and I read more abou them on the web this week, but it hasn't helped.

I want a newer car radio for my 2005 Toyota Solara, and I live in
Baltimore and want to be able to receive WAMU, 88.5 and WCSP
(c-span)90.1, from DC.

Which value matters in predicting whether I'll be able to do so,
selectivity or sensitivity?

My current radio gets both stations, but there have been radios that
don't get stations I know exist and in that situation, there is a
general low level noise something like the wind blowing. I suppose you
have all heard it.

Alternatively, limiting what I pay to $300, maybe 400 and 500 at the
very most, what brands are "certain" to get any station my Toyota radio
gets and my Chrylser radio got in the previous 3 cars.

I'll probably buy from Crutchfield becasue they have kits to connect to
the steering wheel controls.

Mostly I want the new radio to have a USB and AUX input, and maybe
buttons instead of a touch screen. It would be nice if it played CD's
and I guess no such radio will play cassettes.

Buttons are easier to use while keeping ones eyes on the road.

OTOH, though I have very little use for GPS, the current car has it
(uses a CD for the maps) and there is no monthly charge. If on the new
radio it was a one time charge included in the price of the radio, it
might be nice to have once in a great while.

Thanks in advance.