Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Saving LCD screens that were under water

We have a summer house that flooded some time ago (we are 8' up now), and in it were a number of electronic pieces including:

Soundcraftsman Tuner, with Backlit LCD screen
Dynaco PAT4
Dynaco ST120
Sony CD Player
Sony VCR

The speakers were above the flood waters.

All of the above traveled through our Bosch dishwasher with exactly 1/2 the normal amount of detergent. From there they went into a 150F gas-fired oven for four (4) hours. Tops off, guts exposed, but upside down.

Moving parts, slide-rails and so forth were lubricated before returning to service. Some belts were also replaced (with O-rings).

All are fine.

If the alternative is landfill, heroic measures are entirely appropriate.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA