Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Gluing cedar for outdoor furniture

On 6/6/2018 10:40 AM, dpb wrote:
On 6/6/2018 9:36 AM, Leon wrote:

Believe it or not one of the magazines tested several years ago, 10 or
so years back.Â* TBII proved to me more water resistant than TBIII.

Well, you have to understand what the ANSI tests are; ANSI Type I (TB3)
and ANSI Type II (TB2) are vastly different and neither is really all
that representative of normal weathering use.Â* All one can really say
about the two products is that they pass the ANSI tests and so are
compliant to the Standard.

Preaching to the choir. LOL. When that article came out I contacted a
TB rep and it was explained that the glues passed those particular
tests. No where in the description of the test standards are the words
"Water Proof" except in the title.

To qualify a glue to the ANSI Standard the procedure is to make some
birch plywood with three plies using the test adhesive for gluing the
veneers together.

For Type 1 test the 1" x 3" sample is
1) boiled in water for four hours
2) dried at 145F for 20 hours
3) boiled for four more hours
4) cooled immediately and tested wet for bond strength.

The strength test is a shear test trying to slide the veneers past each
other.Â* The shear strength required and the amount of wood failure
versus glue failure is specified in the standard.

For the ANSI Type 2 test the 2" x 5" sample is
1) soaked in water (not boiled) for four hours
2) dried at 120 F for 19 hours
3) 1) & 2) repeated two more times, for a total of three cycles

To pass the test, the sample must not have delaminated; there is no
stress test, only that the joints are still intact.

One would have to know the specifics of the magazine's testing to be
able to judge and unless they followed a similar protocol to the ANSI
tests there's no real reason to expect much correlation.

--

The magazine had a pretty detailed test and explanation. While I
understand the standards ratings the average buyer is going to look at