Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default Cctv able to read number plates

"michael adams" Wrote in message:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
On 06/06/2018 20:27, michael adams wrote:
"Cynic" wrote in message
We've got simple cctv cameras with IR illuminator around the lens up at the
local hall. Lately there's been a problem with boy racers gathering after dark
in the car park and antisocial behaviour ensues.
The cars can be viewed but reflective number plates are just a washout presumably
caused by the direct reflection of the IR. Has anyone had success in capturing
readable images of number plates after dark using economic cameras? I'm guessing
the use of a non illuminated camera with a separate illuminator from an angled
location
might solve the reflection washout of the image but the hall doesn't want to spend
funds without being sure it will work.

IANAL but if the police are unwilling to take action on the basis of any timed CCTV
footage you can provide them with already - basically by lying in wait and catching
them in the act - then I doubt your being able to record the number plates would make
any difference.

One report, of anti-social use of a motor vehicle (with number) can result in the
police issuing the owner with a warning. A second report within a period can result in
the vehicle being seized.

They are far more likely to do something if you can give the number.

As a matter of interest, how do they guard against against malicious reports ?

By looking at the CCTV provided?

--
Jim K