Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Terry Schwartz Terry Schwartz is offline

Default Reducing HV output voltage from Flyback/LOPT as used in arcade monitors

It is not just the face of the tube that emits X-Rays, the glass on the
bell housing can (I am pretty sure) leak as well. A common use for this
13" monitor was in cocktail tables. So the face of the tube is shown to
the players and the bell housing, well let us just say it is pretty much
inline with your waist on down...

Not wanting customer gonads to glow in the dark was my main impetus for
finding a simple, yet reliable solution that did not defeat the internal
over-voltage X-ray shutdown process.

John, my DK JR cocktail is in a metal cabinet -- robust as all get-out. Are my gonads safe in the case of HV runaway? Not that I need them anymore, my breeding days are long past.

Actually I do believe that it's the accelerated electrons hitting the face of the tube that causes X-ray radiation. Any radiation out the sides is very low energy and likely stopped by the cabinet or maybe even the aquadag.

However -- excess high voltage used to cause CRT images to "bloom". Isn't that happening in your scenario?

Terry