Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cynic[_2_] Cynic[_2_] is offline

Default Cctv able to read number plates

We've got simple cctv cameras with IR illuminator around the lens up at the local hall. Lately there's been a problem with boy racers gathering after dark in the car park and antisocial behaviour ensues.
The cars can be viewed but reflective number plates are just a washout presumably caused by the direct reflection of the IR. Has anyone had success in capturing readable images of number plates after dark using economic cameras? I'm guessing the use of a non illuminated camera with a separate illuminator from an angled location might solve the reflection washout of the image but the hall doesn't want to spend funds without being sure it will work..