Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Replacing Florescent Lights in Garage

On 05/06/2018 19:52, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 16:13:49 GMT, Johnny B Good wrote:

You can buy 125LPW LED GLS lamps in Asda and Home Bargains stores (8
quid a pair of 1522Lm bulbs in Asda or 3 quid for a single 1500Lm bulb
in Home Bargain).

What type of "LED GLS"? filament or individual LEDs on a big lump of
ali heat sink?

If you're looking for a more economic to run LED replacement, don't
waste your money on Aldi and Lidl's offerings. Up to now, checking out
the specifications of such tat has only made my lip curl in disgust at
the results of my LPW calculations.

Simple lm/W isn't the whole picture. Aldi 5' LED tubes are 2000 lm
and 22 W - 91 lm/W. Not so shabby. 2000 lm is numerically less than
half that of 58W 5' florry but I find in practice that it's not
noticeable so I'm getting the same percieved light level for less
than half the watts. At least two are on for 18 hours a day, that's
1.3 kWHr/day not consumed or 473 kWHr/year @ 12p/kWHr = nearly £60
and I bought them when Aldi were floggin' em off at £4.99 each.

Well that's because you are not wasting light back into the fitting.

--
Adam