Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Gluing cedar for outdoor furniture

On 6/5/2018 11:25 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:57:07 AM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
I thought I would use your basic Titebond for this project, maybe coat the joints (mostly mortise and tenons) with acetone. But I read where other glues are preferable. What's the verdict?

Thanks,

Mike

Eastern Red Cedar? I've made benches, similar to the (link) pictured ones, that has been outside for years, with no problems. Titebond II was used.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Believe it or not one of the magazines tested several years ago, 10 or
so years back. TBII proved to me more water resistant than TBIII.

One outside bench was looking so weathered I didn't want to refinish it, too much work. I gave it to a friend to refinish. Still solidly glued together.

I made Mom some cedar plant "stands" (stools?) - a slab with limbs glued onto the bottom. They held up for about 3 years, before needing repair/regluing.
Though this pictured plant stand is indoors, this is the basic construction of the outdoor stands.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

On all these above projects, the holes drilled for the limb legs were fairly large, at least 1" diameter and fairly deep, as well. Hence, the beefy construction, along with gluing, made for their long term stability. *on some, the limb legs rotted before the joints fail, as the plants are watered and/or rained on.

Sonny