Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_36_] Peter[_36_] is offline

Default Best location for Dehumidifier?

On 6/6/2018 5:39 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, 2 August 2003 17:52:02 UTC+1, Arthur wrote:
I am using a 50-pint Dehumidifier for an area with a staircase.
Cold air normally descends, but I don't know the properties of
"humidity"--does it tend to travel "up" like warm air?

My question: Is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the bottom
of the staircase, or is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the
top?

Arthur

-- For email replies: Remove xy99spam

hi if i leave my dehumidifier in the lounnge will it do a 2 bed house
ok without moving it thanks

It may seem counter-intuitive, but humid air IS lighter than dry air.
That's because water vapor (which is a gas) is composed of hydrogen and
oxygen, a lighter gas than dry air - which is almost completely composed
of nitrogen and oxygen. And nitrogen is much heavier than hydrogen.
Therefore, it is better to place your dehumidifier at the top of the
staircase area (assuming you have a safe place for it that will not
cause people to trip over the dehumidifier and fall down the stairs!)