Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default Cutting a cultured marble vanity top

wrote in message

So, I'm wondering if I can saw off that cultured marble top? Not only
will it fit my cabinet, but I'll be sawing off that cracked corner.
Since my counter top is in a corner, the sawed off part will be against
the wall, so it wont be seen. A little tub caulk will conceal any
imperfections in my cut if I dont get it precise.

Yea, my sink wont be exactly centered, but I'm not too worried about
that.

Anyhow, has anyone ever cut one of them? Do I use a concrete blade in my
circular saw, or what? (I'll have to cut it from the bottom side because
of the backsplash. I am a little concerned about it cracking off
irregularly when I get near the end of the cut, because that corner
cracked from just bumping against a wooden floor, so that material has
to be fairly weak. (Does that stuff get weak and brittle from time?).

Yes, you can cut it. With most anything, steel, carbide, diamond, masonry
blade. Use a relatively small tooth on a toothed blade..

To cut off the backsplash area, hang the top over a bench so that the
backsplasy hangs over and finish the cut with a saber saw. After you cut a
ways, you could rotate all a bit, clamp cut portion of splash to table near
the cut and clamp main part.

Finish the cut surface with some #80 paper wrapped around a piece of wood.

These things are really easy to cut, no reaon you couldn't cut some each end
to center the sink if you want.