Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Howard Beel Howard Beel is offline

Default What worked

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news
I ended up using my one homemade indexable end mill , only took 2
triangular inserts . What worked was to lock the rotary table in position
and using the end of the mill to do the cutting . Average depth of cut was
around .015" per pass , cranking slow in X . I first tried locking down
both axes and advancing the RT one hole (in a 47 hole plate) at a time .
That calculated out to about .003" feed per hole . Full depth cuts , and
that didn't work so well . I didn't make a killin' on this , but learned a
little more about machining hard materials . I gotta say , I felt very
pessimistic about this whole thing when an M42 end mill just skated on the
part . Delivered them today and found out it took 20 years to cause the
damage , this should give him 20 more - and this was their only option ,
parts are no longer available .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Next time you need to machine hardened material try ceramic
inserts. They will cut material that carbide won't scratch.

Best Regards
Tom.

---
https://www.avg.com