Posted to alt.home.repair
None None is offline

Default New report: Easier access to guns means more violent deaths

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 15:07:03 -0000 (UTC), "Dove Tail"
wrote:

On 6/5/2018 at 8:04:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/5/2018 10:44 AM, Dove Tail wrote:
On 6/5/2018 at 7:33:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/5/2018 10:17 AM, Dove Tail wrote:
Anyone who says that easy access to firearms is not the primary
problem, is just telling fairy tales.

A new report affirms what we already know: Easier access to guns
means more violent deaths

LA Times http://tinyurl.com/y7uxcm75

"...So who led the pack in gun-suicide rates, according to the
Violence Policy Center? Montana, where two-thirds of households
have firearms and where the gun-suicide rate was 15.54 per
100,000 residents, more than twice the national rate of 7.1.
The lowest gun-suicide rate was in New Jersey, at 1.97 per
100,000, and where only 17.4% of households owned firearms..."

What is the total suicide rates? That would give a more true
picture. People use what is available to them be it a gun or
pills.

Note that the rate in MT is double, but the ownership is almost
4X. Would that not translate to a better rate? Seems that when
guns are available they are used less.

The article clearly displayed a link to the actual study which
contained detailed stats.

http://www.vpc.org/press/states-with...-gun-suicides/

As for your third sentence, that was pretty funny.

But they did not give the overall suicide rate. People use the tools
thy have handy and are familiar with. I'm not sure what they are
trying to prove. If there is a loose screw and a butter knife is two
feet away, you may use that rather than run out to the garage tool
box for a screwdriver.

Show me that many more people commit suicide because they have guns
and that would be meaningful. NJ has higher bridges to jump off and
readily available drugs to OD on.

This was a study about gun violence, not suicide. I am sure you could
find suicide stats if that is what you are interested in.

Funny how so many people like Ed resort to posting chaff when they
can't directly address the issue at hand.