Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Replacing Florescent Lights in Garage

On 04/06/2018 21:14, ARW wrote:
On 04/06/2018 20:16, Dave Liquorice wrote:

The simplest is swap tubes, replace flory starter with LED "starter"
(ie a bit of wire in a starter housing), job done. Also easy to
revert to florry. Or you can remove/bypass the choke and power factor
capacitor and just have mains L & N to one end of the tube holder.
Put a florry into such a modifed fitting I suspect the filament in
the end with full mains won't last long, both ends are normally in
series across the mains...

If you are removing the ballast and starter then it makes more sense to
wire up the fitting as follows.

One pin at one end of the fitting to live, one pin at the other end of
the fitting to neutral and a shorting wire between the other two pins.

This is because most LED replacement tubes are fed by a driver at one
end of the tube and the other end of the LED tube is a shorted circuit.

Wiring this way as opposed to your suggestion of a LN at just one end
prevents a short on the lighting circuit should the lamp be fitted the
wrong way around and will allow the LED tube to work no matter which way
round it is installed.

Assuming, as you say, the LED tubes are 'shorted' at one end, that seems
the ideal solution. Certainly not having to worry about fitting the tube
the 'wrong way' (and shorting the supply) makes a lot of sense.

I'm assuming from what you say, the LED tubes are marked 'power this
end' (or similar)? Likewise, 'proper' LED fittings are marked with
'power this end'.

We've just had an 'illuminated ceiling' removed (a suspended series of
semi-clear tiles with lights above) as part of a bathroom 'revamp'. It
had some florescent tubes mounted on the ceiling with the
starter/ballast assembly just in boxes. I don't recall replacing any of
the tubes in that since we moved in- over 20 years ago. I suspect the
'illuminated ceiling dates back to when the house was built- 1986.