Posted to alt.home.repair
Dove Tail Dove Tail is offline

Default New report: Easier access to guns means more violent deaths

On 6/5/2018 at 9:34:18 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Tue 05 Jun 2018 09:15:03a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

On 6/5/2018 11:07 AM, Dove Tail wrote:
On 6/5/2018 at 8:04:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/5/2018 10:44 AM, Dove Tail wrote:
On 6/5/2018 at 7:33:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/5/2018 10:17 AM, Dove Tail wrote:
Anyone who says that easy access to firearms is not the
primary problem, is just telling fairy tales.

A new report affirms what we already know: Easier access to
guns means more violent deaths

LA Times http://tinyurl.com/y7uxcm75

"...So who led the pack in gun-suicide rates, according to
the Violence Policy Center? Montana, where two-thirds of
households have firearms and where the gun-suicide rate was
15.54 per 100,000 residents, more than twice the national
rate of 7.1. The lowest gun-suicide rate was in New Jersey,
at 1.97 per 100,000, and where only 17.4% of households owned
firearms..."

What is the total suicide rates? That would give a more true
picture. People use what is available to them be it a gun or
pills.

Note that the rate in MT is double, but the ownership is
almost 4X. Would that not translate to a better rate? Seems
that when guns are available they are used less.

The article clearly displayed a link to the actual study which
contained detailed stats.

http://www.vpc.org/press/states-with...nd-higher-gun-
ownership-lead-nation-in-gun-suicides/

As for your third sentence, that was pretty funny.

But they did not give the overall suicide rate. People use the
tools thy have handy and are familiar with. I'm not sure what
they are trying to prove. If there is a loose screw and a
butter knife is two feet away, you may use that rather than run
out to the garage tool box for a screwdriver.

Show me that many more people commit suicide because they have
guns and that would be meaningful. NJ has higher bridges to
jump off and readily available drugs to OD on.

This was a study about gun violence, not suicide. I am sure you
could find suicide stats if that is what you are interested in.

They gave stat with no real meaning though. A quick glance may
have people thinking more guns = more suicide, but that is not the
case.

No, more likely more murders and/or robberies. I have not seen any
statistics, but I would guess that there are also more ODs than
suicides by firearms.

Here are suicide stats for Montana and NJ.

https://dphhs.mt.gov/Portals/85/suic...einMontana.pdf

http://www.chathamtownship-nj.gov/im...Facts-2017.pdf

I am not saying that you have more suicides where you have more guns,
there are far too many other factors to consider but, a superficial
examination of the data suggests that might be true.

However, there are many more suicides by guns in areas where there are
many more guns available, eg MT vs. NJ, that is painfully obvious.